Sunday, July 3, 2011

Projects from jungle animal fabric

I certainly haven't been keeping my blog up to date -- I didn't realize it had been so long since I posted anything!  But, I have been busy. 

 Found this fabric on Ebay, and thought it would be good to use for one of the grandkids:

 But, it looks like the grandkids may never see it!  I used it to make myself a "bow tuck" bag, which I love -- it is just the right size for me:

Still had fabric left, and had been wanting to try a "One Block Wonder" quilt.  This was a challenge; not so much the creation of the blocks, but the fact that they are hexagonal, and the design they morphed into wasn't symmetrical.  I filled in with some solid colors to create a landscape, and then spent a lot of time figuring out how to put a border on it.  Again, not symmetrical, which was a real drain on my left-brained self!  Quilting was fun -- I used my walking foot to do six-leafed curves on each hexagon, did some leafy FMQ in the purple and green areas, tried one of Leah Day's designs in the sky, and stippled/meandered in the border.  That was my first attempt at stippling, and I was pleased with the result.  I found a suggestion somewhere to imagine a grid on your fabric, and try to enter each square only once.  Well, this border fabric had a grid built-in, with the giraffe-skin pattern, so I tried to enter each darker spot once, and no more than twice.  Worked great!

No comments:

Post a Comment